Thursday, June 29, 2006

Was this the right attitude?

While coming to office today we visited Varenyam Motors as Rajeev had to do correct some bug in their software. When he went inside the showroom, I and Satish were standing outside, beside the road. It was hardly two minutes, a woman (beggar) came to us with her daughter and asked both of us for some money. I was the first who denied any sort of help, Satish did the same. She walked away...

After a little while a gentleman in his mid-fifties came to us. He addressed Satish first and asked for some help. He begged us for 5 rupees so that he can have some food. He said "5 rupaye kam pad rahe hain khane main. Please help kijiye. Aap log engineering ke students lagte ho." He wore a light-coloured shirt and dark pants, shirt was in. Overall he looked like a descent human being in need of some money.

5 rupees is not a thing to think twice, still I saw Satish and waited for a couple of seconds. He gave me a blank look, without any further delay, I pulled out my wallet and drew a 10-rupee-note and handed over to the gentleman. He thanked me and walked over.


Just before he left us, I smelled something! He was drunk! Okay, so he has just begged for 5 rupees to take another drink. He seemed a gentleman and I donated him 10 rupees while I didn't have a single rupee for that lady who wasn't wearing a good dress. I didn't give her a rupee because I knew, she will misuse my money! What the worse misuse could be other than drinking. She had a daughter and they really seemed in need while that rascal came to me in good dress and I gave him 10 rupees happily. I know there are lakhs of beggars in India and I am not a king who can donate every one of them but I didn't do the right thing to the woman in the morning.

Was this the right attitude? Should I have given that woman 1 rupee or shouldn't I have given that moron a 10-rupee-note? I am really confused and hurt.

2 comments:

Rishi said...

On delhi roads when you are inside the car waiting at traffic signals. There is always a bunch of por people making a crying face and asking for some money most of them are women in 20's who are carrying small kids to get some sympathy. I have decided never to give any money to these people as until one is capable of doing work begging is not right. But when I find handicapped people you might help him.
But I definitely help old people who at this age cannot work to earn a living. Had the circumstances been a bit dfferent an life taken a wrong turn any person close to us might end up doing the same.

Secondly if you have given some money to some in good faith thinking he would use it for the purpose intended its not your fault.

Banwari Lal Sharma said...

Dear Rishi,

You correctly said it. In fact when I found myself robbed, Satish immediately said "He's gonna drink!" I replied him "Pandit, I gave 10 bucks to a hungry person for food. Now if he is misusing it, he will pay for it. I did good, that's it!"

The problem wasn't money at all, but it is all about faith, which was broken that day.

I like your attitude towards handicapped and aged beggars. I too will try to stick to this. :-)