Thursday, September 21, 2006

Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown/Ron Howard

Finished reading this wonderful book last week and the within next two days watched the movie as well. Book is simply awesome. I liked Brown's simple way of story-telling and his depth of knowledge. Cryptography, Code-breaking, symbology, art, history and religion, whatever he covered in the book was fantastic. Dan Brown's research on these various topics wondered me, very vast and very accurate.

Being an software engineer, I can understand what he talked about Cryptography and all. And I found that part of book not only interesting but also very informative. Arts, symbology et al meant nothing to me but after reading a very comprehensive description of symbols, paintings I must say they meant too much. I always used to wonder why paintings are sold for some million dollars, what do they have apart from being a creativity of a ultra-popular artist. I can well say that those guys were geniuses and their creativities were no ordinary, simply masterpieces!

However I didn't give a damn to what he told about Christianity, Jesus, Mary Magdalene their relationship, their successors and all but whatever he presented sounded convincing. Story was fantastic and was flawless. Characters were limited but were well elaborated. A good quality suspense was created and was broken in decent and convincing manner. After reading merely fifty pages I was deep into the story.

The film on the contrary didn't convince me. First of all it skipped all of important (at least for me) incidents like code-breaking, symbol descriptions, suspense and so on. It simply presented the religion part but did it well. Some tempering with original story was done which seemed unwanted and unnecessary to me, it could do if it could have been presented as it is. Since length of the story was pretty much it wasn't possible to depict each and every scene but yes, I think people who didn't read book prior to watching movie may have found them lost at places. Direction, presentation, acting was good, actors did justice to their roles and didn't leave any flaw for me to point at.

At the end the book gets 4/5 and the film 3/5 from me.

Book Details:
-------------
Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown,
Publisher: DoubleDay
Binding: Mass Paperback
Pages: 489
Price: INR 230

Movie Details:
--------------
Da Vinci Code by Ron Howard

No comments: