Saturday, December 30, 2006

Chiken Munia: An epidemic or fantasy?

I visited my home-town (Ambah, Morena district, M.P. India) during Diwali festival and found something strange there. The instant I entered my home I came to know that almost every member of my family has pain in their hands, legs/feet. They had fever too just a few days back which vanished over time. My mother, who was on bed told me that we are not the only victims of this strange disease but entire district is struggling. My father added that not only Morena but people in almost 500kms range are suffering. He concluded that its Chiken Munia, an EPIDEMIC!

Chiken Munia starts with very high temperature and ends up leaving pain and swelling in hands/legs which seems never-lasting. There was no medicine available in the market for the disease, doctors were recommending people to have good rest and patience. They said, it will go on its own. However, no one could believe them and people were taking pain-killers, injections in order to reduce the pain. I saw my mother's right hand which she could barely use for any work in last couple of weeks. She took injections on alternate days but in vain. Visited a few friends/neighbors and realized that almost every Ambahite is suffering or at least have suffered! In nutshell, none at Ambah seemed 100% fit, doesn't matter how good or bad at finance s/he was. When I went to Bhopal (which is 450 kms far from Ambah), Auntie told me that she too had suffered from Chiken Munia and still have some pain in hands.

I was wondering what Indian government, doctors did in this regard. There was no medical camp held, no special medicines provided, no precautions aired, virtually nothing happened. It seemed that there is no disease/epidemic named Chiken Munia. My brother took me back to reality, reality of Indian government, Indian politics. He told that there was some statement in newspapers/TV by some health minister that "Chiken Munia is no epidemic. Its merely a fantasy which is originated in idle minds in order to create some buzz around." I couldn't stop myself from smiling at my brother's declaration and thought, 'Wah minister sahib, how true you are!'

No comments: