Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Tesu and Jhainji in Bundelkhand

A fellow-Ambahite sent a mail in Ambah group a couple of days back. The mail contained something very special, well to me and every person belonging to Ambah or Chambal. The mail had a few Tesu and Jhainji songs written in Devnagiri script. All original bundelkhandi/brij dialect ones. Those songs and much more is composed by Mr. Mushtaq Khan and is available at this URL. All the stuff is in Hindi/Bundelkhandi language/dialect.

A quick overview of Tesu and Jhianji: As the Deshahra/Vijay Dashmi finishes, Chambal starts to celebrate a very interesting ceremony. Almost every chambal family takes part in this ceremony but at individual level. At least one boy (5-15 years age) in the family buys a Tesu ( a three-leg statue, resembles a king/prince) and girl (of similar age group) buys a Jhainji (a pot made of mud, resembles a queen/princess). Now boys and girls roam in streets in groups, singing Tesu-Jhainji songs. They go to every door-step and ask for money (usually 25 paisa to 1 rupee). This goes on till Sharad Purnima (15 days prior to Diwali). On Sharad Purnima, the Tesu and Jhainji's marriage takes place. It's just like normal marriage. All major events take place in this marriage. Even a pandit is hired to perform the pooja. I had performed pooja in a few such marriages and could be able to get some 15-16 rupees ;~) Parents of the children too participate in this and enjoy the event. After marriage, Tesus and Jhainjis are broken by hitting hard on floor. Crackers, sweets, songs are all around to celebrate this mega-event.

Well, I should have described all this in past tense as nothing happens now. Chambal is modern now, unfortunately! Trust me, Sharad Purnima used to be a bigger festival than Diwali at my place. It's all over now. Thanks to technology for providing TV, CD players, mobile games...

Anyways, I don't know Mr. Mushtaq Khan but I sincerely thank him for making so much efforts for us. And yes, I am thankful to Deepak as well to bring up such a great thing.

12 comments:

sugam said...

Thanks a lot. I am in Agra since last 4 Years. During dusshehra, gonr thru tesu n jhainji's toys. But didn't know the significance. Thanks for telling :)

Banwari Lal Sharma said...

Thanks for bringing the memories back, Sugam. I'm in Mumbai right now and Sharad Purnima is like another day here. Yesterday was the Sharad Purnima and it went just like a routine day.

rahul blog said...

waaw yr very interesting event. I also enjoy this every year. i am from Pandaura, Kadaura (Jalaun)

Triveni said...

I have a very vivid memory of this. I grew up in bulandshahr, U.P. I remember, when I was young..may be 5-6 years old..small kids used to come around dussehera Diwali with 3 legged stands and used to sing, roaming home to home... Mera tesu yah in Ada..khane ko mange dahi bada...
My dadi used to give them 10 paisa or so...it stopped after a while though.
I live in USA now...and it's Diwali here...missing all the old times away from home.. Was remembering tesu and googled...I am glad that you posted so etching about it.
Thanks very much :).
Sonal

Triveni said...

I have a very vivid memory of this. I grew up in bulandshahr, U.P. I remember, when I was young..may be 5-6 years old..small kids used to come around dussehera Diwali with 3 legged stands and used to sing, roaming home to home... Mera tesu yah in Ada..khane ko mange dahi bada...
My dadi used to give them 10 paisa or so...it stopped after a while though.
I live in USA now...and it's Diwali here...missing all the old times away from home.. Was remembering tesu and googled...I am glad that you posted so etching about it.
Thanks very much :).
Sonal

Prem Kohli said...

Hi! Those innocent kids having low illuminated faces due to the dim light of flame from the tri-stand tesu made of bamboo, going door to door and singing some funny folk songs/ poems and immediately asking for money after each poem!!
Now, I reside in Delhi so miss a lot. I was looking for an audio/ video of all those funny folk songs/ poem but could not find any on the net.
In case you find any, pls share the link.
Thanks!!

Prem

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Dear uncle,
I am feeling good after reading of your blog.
My self Anoop.

ruchi said...

This ritual is still followed jn some places in UP in same or different manner.. its really an interesting event..

ruchi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I think ye Khtau Shyam ji(According To mahabharat Barbarik(Bheeem grandSon and Ghatochkach son) jinka mandir sikar rajasthan main hain vo teshu k roop me puje jate he...kiyuki khatu shyam ji baare me kaha jata he ki be bahut veer the and unke paas teen teer the....shayad isliye teshu k sar ko teen dandiyo par rakaha jata he and lord krishna ne unka(Teshu_ sheesh(sar) maaga tha daan me jo ki teen teer par rakha tha.....i am not 100% sure!!!!!