Saturday, May 20, 2006

Kshama Karna Jiji by Narendra Kohli

I bought this 100-odd-pages-long Jnanpith-Paperback from 2005 Bhopal National Book Fair. I had heard about Dr. Narendra Kohli before and just wanted to read any of his book. I think smaller book is always better to start with, so I just grabbed it.

This novel tells story of a very common, middle-class, Indian family. The central character is 'Nirmala' (also called Guddi). The narrator is Vineet, younger brother of Nirmala. Vineet calls her Jiji(elder sister). Story of the novel is that simple and realistic that any medium-class person can feel it happening around.

'Kshama Karna Jiji' is all about caring, love, respect, responsibilities and commitments for relations, family. We all try to give our cent-percent to our families but still we miss something very important and we don't even realize it until its too late to do anything. Then remains - regret and sorry! In relations, sometimes we take things for granted. This tendency makes things worst.

Mr. Kohli has tried to depict this feeling. Vineet gave his hundred-percent to his jiji, tried to make her happy, whenever she needed it. She was the sister of five brothers, all of them loved her, she too loved all her brothers but Vineet was her most-loved-brother, he too really cared about her, but still he couldn't help her when she desperately needed it. Why Vineet had to say 'Kshama Karna Jiji' is well told.

This is the only book, I have finished in one sitting. Reading this book was as same as reading a story of our street. So real, indeed! I was watching 'Magnolia' last Sunday, while I felt, this is not the story that any Indian can feel. I can't imagine any Indian literally abusing his/her father but I can imagine someone dying to help her sister who is married for 10 years. After finishing this book, I couldn't stop myself to feel like crying.

Overall, the book was a good read. Dr. Narendra Kohli wrote it very well and I am bound to read his other great works.

Complete Book Details:
Kshama Karna Jiji (Hindi Novel)
by Narendra Kohli
ISBN: 81-263-1079-0
Publisher: Bhartiya Jnanpith
Pages: 108
Binding: Paperback
Price: Rs.35/-
Book URL: http://jnanpith.net/book_catalogue/detail.asp?id=1468

No comments: