Saturday, May 20, 2006

Muktidoot by Virendra Kumar Jain

In Bhopal book fair, past month, I stopped at Bhartiya Gyanpeeth stall to buy books. I decided to buy at least three books, I had no problem in buying two books, Kshama Karna Jiji (Narendra Kohli) and Gunahon Ka Devta (Dharamvir Bharati) but I was finding it hard to choose third one. I went to Rajeev and told the situation, he said in his usual manner, 'Why third one? Two are enough, we already many un-read at home!'. Now the condition was worse, I had to choose a third one even faster! I went back to stall and chose a random book, titled 'Muktidoot'. There was no criteria for choosing it, the only thing I could notice about it was a small note on top right corner of front-cover, saying 'Murtidevi Award Winner'

While reading the prologue, I came to know that the book is a love story of some Pavananjaya and Anjana and the story is about 2,500 years old. Name 'Anjana' and 'Pavananjaya' seemed to be known, listened! Hanuman's parents??? God knows! Anyways, I started to read it...

Despite of reading 50 pages, I couldn't get into the book. The story was written in very good Hindi, very good Hindi indeed! A native-hindi speaker had to understand the meanings! But the story was going smooth.

When I finished the book, I realized, whatever I has just finished reading, was awesome. I was really amazed at the story and the way of telling it. Virendra Kumar Jain must have been a master of Hindi.

Yes, the story is about Hanuman's parents. What a great love story, indeed! The novel was written back in 1947 and was lost until 1973. Now its considered to be a milestone in Hindi literature. I remember the moment, I was going to buy it thinking maybe its going to be a wrong decision. No regrets! Was a wonderful read. The story is great and informative. I didn't know too much about our great Hanuman Ji's parents. :-)

Highly recommend it. 9/10.

book details:
Muktidoot by Virendra Kumar Jain,
248 pages, paperback, Rs.75/-
Bhartiya Jnanpith, New Delhi

No comments: