Thursday, July 27, 2006

Doctors by Erich Segal

Finished reading 'Doctors' by Erich Segal a couple of months back. I liked this novel like anything. It was recommended by my friend Neha Bansal from Chandigarh, thanks Neha. Though I am too late at reading Erich Segal's novel as every second person around seems to have read it long back. Not my fault, as I said I am new to reader's world but believe me its an amazing world, world of books. I am sort of obsessed with it, sorry, can't help it! :-)

I had read Erich Segal's 'Only Love', 'Love Story' and 'Man Woman and Child' before. They all were good but Doctors is a class work of Erich Segal. A very good novel on doctors' life. It seems that Mr. Segal must have done a lot of research on doctors before preparing his mind for it. He has used a lot of ultra-technical medical words that went above my head but still I could get every bit of the novel.

This novel is that great that it really doesn't need any review or something. Its a brand in itself, a masterpiece. A fabulous book, indeed. Lead characters are Barney Livingstone and Laura Castellano, friends of each other from childhood. Their friendship takes too many curves in the story but most of the time they kept connected to each other. They studied together in Harvard and became successful doctors. Barney became a Psychologist while Laura turned into a Paediatrician,.

Me. Segal has shown us a clear picture of this profession, he has covered every aspect of it. There are good doctors, bad doctors, scared doctors, Merci-killing doctors and so on. Doctors do need doctors and they need them very badly, I came to know this from this book only. General parents do take care of their kids but they are very far from the fears of doctors. Doctors seem to find every second decease in their kids/families. How hard it is for a paediatrician,to become a mother is shown in this book. 'Doctors' gave several examples how hard is it to become a doctor and live being a doctor.

An amazing book, I guess it must be the best work of Erich Segal.

Book details:
-------------
Doctors by Erich Segal,
Publication: Bantam Books,
Binding: Mass Paperback
Pages: 615
Price: Rs.250/-

No comments: