Sunday, August 06, 2006

Mrityunjay by Virendra Kumar Bhattacharya

I have a Gyanpith (Jnanpith!) book catalogue with me, so whenever I run out of books I choose a couple of books from it and buy them. I am choosing the books that have won Gyanpith or Murtidevi Award. I found this book in this catalogue only and I am very happy after choosing this book. Again, its Gyanpith awarded novel.

The novel was originally written in Assamese language but I read the Hindi translation. The novel's background is of 1920s when India was struggling to become free from English rule. The book depicts role of Assam in freedom fight. This is not a comprehensive book on freedom-fighting but covers merely one scene.

The scene is about derailing a train of military. Very limited characters came into the scene and tried to accomplish the task. Dhanpur, Roop Narayan, Bhibhiram, Gosai ji, Dimi, Shayikiya etc are the main characters. Among them Roop Narayan is the youngest and most intellectual guy. Dhanpur is very hard-working and straightforward person.

Story is written beautifully well. However I didn't read the original book but Hindi translation was flawless and enjoyed it. The book gave me a fair idea of assamese people and their way of living as well. Overall I liked the book very much.

Book details:
-------------
Mrityunjay (Assamese) ,
by Virendra Kumar Bhattacharya,
Pages: 264
Binding: Hardbound
Publication: Bhartiya Jnanpith
Price: Rs.145/-
ISBN:

No comments: