Wednesday, November 22, 2006

The Story of My Experiments with Truth or An Autobiography by Mahatma Gandhi

Was searching for this book for a long time. No online store had it, searched it in some local book-stores but no luck. Actually I was under impression that Gandhi ji wrote it in Gujarati and Hindi originally and later he only translated it into English. So I was looking for Hindi original, however I didn't find it in any language! Went to Priya Didi that night and she handed me over the Hindi translation! Yes, then only I realized that Gandhi ji wrote it in English originally. I thought like saying NO to didi and find English one now but couldn't resist myself, picked up the book as soon as I finished Shalimar the Clown.

I was always very much curious about Gandhi ji's life, in fact I must say I didn't have very good views about him. Sometimes it happens with me that even if I don't know anything about something I start making prejudices, same happened with Gandhi ji. However even after reading his autobiography I am not able to prove myself wrong for what I used to feel about him. I still don't have good views for him and I need to read more books/articles on him to know more about him. In fact my research should start where Gandhi ji finished his autobiography i.e. his role in Indian independence and after-independence politics. But still this book gave me a fair idea about Gandhi ji's life.

I must say, I am pretty much impressed with this guy. No doubt he was a genius, not born, not god-gifted but he made his fate himself. He dominated in his magnificent personality. While reading the book sometimes I tend to compare myself or people around me with the protagonists, other characters, same happened with this book. Until Gandhi ji crossed 40 or so, he seemed very much disappointing to me. Not a single sign of great (or should I say, good, educated?) human being. He acted very cheap at times, he did what a person with good sense of humor is supposed to do. He stole money, ate meat to build his personality, went to prostitute (well, just went!), suspected his wife and many other small-big things. But the good thing with him was his determination, genuine/pure thoughts, desperation for going ahead, care for others and above all truth. Whatever he did, he knew he did wrong, he confessed and corrected it. Whatever he has confessed in his autobiography is not an easier thing to do.

He was very common, dull student in the class, who was afraid of failure in Indian college, just to skip this hard study, he went abroad. He did what every common man is supposed to do. He followed others so that he can be considered more civilized there, he wasted money on things that a wise man will never do. In nutshell, his personality didn't reflect anything that could be predicted as this person will become father of a nation. But he did it and did it very well. I guess, this was his truth, his genuine thoughts, his helping hands for everyone and determination.

I always wondered why this guy got so much hype, I realize now that that wasn't hype. He deserved whatever he got. Its no easy task to help others while your own future is on stake, you have a family to take care of. I don't know what I learned from Mahatma Gandhi ji's autobiography but I can say one thing for sure that if Gandhi ji can go this ahead, anyone in the world can go even farther. The only thing you need is determination and truth in your life. Harishchandra could have been a virtual character in Indian mythology but I think Mahatma Gandhi is no less than him. Whatever I think about him, will write later but as of now I am feeling very good that I read his autobiography. I will buy the original English version and will keep with me as inspirational book.

2 comments:

Priya Singh said...

Hey Banwari...good to read your blog....impressed!!! Please read "Pahla Girmitiya from Giriraz Kishore" on Gandhi. Its a Sahitya Academy winning Book.
Another is "Anmol Virasat from Sumitra Kulkarni." She is grand daughter of Gandhi. Good Book

A new boook came, I have seen in book stall in Center One...Lets Kill Gandhi by Tushar Gandhi....I have not read but you can start.
bye. take care

Banwari Lal Sharma said...

Thanks a lot didi. I saw Giriraj Kishore's books in some store, thought of buying one but couldn't. Will definitely buy the mentioned book the next time I visit a bookstore. :-)