Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Shalimar The Clown by Salman Rushdie

I always wanted to read Rushdie's Midnight's Children, in fact I was planning that I will start Rushdie literature with this book only but its unfortunate that I read Shalimar The Clown first and now I am not sure whether I will read Midnight's Children or not. Was wandering through the books, asked the shop-guy about The Kite Runner, he answered in negative and handed me Shalimar The Clown, saying 'Sir, you will like it.' I picked the book, had a quick glance and thought, lets check Rushdie out.

I finished the book last week with mixed feelings. Salman Rushdie writes first-class literature, no doubt. Writing style was quite different for me and I guess I liked it. Research? Its fabulous, he seems to know everything around and put it very beautifully. You can prepare for UPSC GK test by reading his books. But story... I think story couldn't bind me, it seemed highly elaborated and distracting. Story seemed to cover entire world. At times I was wondering, what is Mr. Rushdie up to? I started the book considering it as murder mystery, poor me, and ended up realizing it was a plain, straightforward, literature book. It seemed the book was written for literature students only. Typical course book! It seemed I read the book in wrong age or maybe at wrong time at least, my mind is not stable these days, so maybe I spoiled the good reading anyhow. Anyways, I won't be reading Midnight's Children or any other Rushdie book until I find myself very much dedicated for it. I think, you just cannot dare reading Rushdie while doing some other stuff, you need to be a dedicated client of it.

I am not rating the book as it will be injustice to it. Am not blaming Mr. Rushdie for making me sleep earlier while reading the book, am blaming myself that I didn't give the book my hundred-percent.

No comments: