Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Mumbai Under Construction!

I came to Bombay around 2 years ago. The day I landed in Vashi, I saw road construction in progress. Today, after two years, nothing has changed. Road construction is still in progress. I am not talking entire Vashi, I am talking about a small stretch of 5 kms that I need to commute on weekends. NMMC (Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation) or whoever is responsible for the construction is taking its own sweet time to finish the work.

What a non-sense system we have. One constructs and the other destructs. Cycle of constructions and destructions seems to be never-ending.

There are a lots of chaos because of this. Long, unnecessary traffic-jams, honking vehicles, frustrated people. Sometimes you feel like dying. Air-conditioned, music-filled environment inside of the car just doesn’t sooth you.

You cannot guarantee a time for reaching somewhere, no matter howsoever short distance you are considering. Past night, when I left for office, everything was usual but while coming back from office, I took 15 minutes. I would have traveled this distance in less than five minutes if I was on foot.

It is not the case with Vashi only. You name a place in Bombay where there is no road construction work going on. Forget place, you can’t even suggest a 2 kms stretch. It seems entire Bombay is under construction! When will I see a developed Bombay? As of now, there doesn’t seem to be an end to the problem.

No comments: